Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
A strong earthquake of magnitude 8.1 has struck in the Pacific off the southern coast of Mexico.
The epicentre was about 87km (54 miles) south-west of the town of Pijijiapan and at a depth of 70km, the United States Geological Survey said.
A tsunami warning has been issued for Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama and Honduras.
The quake was felt in Mexico City, with buildings shaking and people running into the street.
The tremors there were reported to have lasted up to a minute.
One visitor to the city, Luis Carlos Briceno, told : "I had never been anywhere where the earth moved so much."Image copyright AFP Image caption
Some electricity cuts have been reported in the capital.
If confirmed at magnitude 8.1, the quake would be bigger in strength to those that struck Mexico in 1995 and 1985. The latter hit close to Mexico City and caused thousands of deaths.
After the latest quake, at least four aftershocks ranging from 5.2 to 5.7 in magnitude were reported closer to the coast, off the town of Paredon.
No tsunami warning has been issued for the US west coast.
Mexico is currently also being threatened on its eastern coast by Hurricane Katia.
The category one hurricane is about 300km south-east of Tampico and has sustained winds of 140km/h the National Hurricane Center says.
- Weekend Forecast: Will Pixar’s ‘Coco’ Reign for Thanksgiving Over ‘Justice League’ Breakout ‘Wonder’?
- Zimbabwe’s President Mugabe resigns after 37 years
- Without a trace
- Fifa bans former bosses of Guam, Nicaraguan and Venezuelan FAs
- Orinoco accident: 10 people missing after two boats capsize
- 'Our athletes still rise'
- Argentina missing submarine: Concern grows over lack of oxygen
- India Extends Deadline For Naval UAV RFI
- Terrorists Losing Local Support In Kashmir, Pakistan Could Target Mainland India: Govt Sources
- Gaten Matarazzo Joe Keery Shame The Internet While Answering The Most Searched Questions About Stranger Things — Watch!
- David Cassidy Passes Away At 67
- Discouraging information in Russian media should not exceed 10% — opinion
- Pope Francis releases video message for people of Bangladesh
- Chrissy Teigen Flaunts Her Baby Bump After Announcing Second Pregnancy!
- Gabby Douglas Says She Was Also Abused By Team Doctor Larry Nassar
- 2 Clips of Nails
- Women's Ashes success a turning point in public interest
- Militants shell Damascus neighborhood where Russian Embassy is located
- Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- Indian-Israeli Trade Group Warns Nixing Missile Deal Threatens Relations