The lone elephant in Islamabad zoo, Kaavan, is still kept under miserable conditions
ISLAMABAD: Animal rights in Pakistan is rarely given importance as our preconceived notions of how one should treat animals are shaped by our misunderstanding of being ‘great’ by only providing them food and shelter without tending to their need for human affection and support. This is exactly why despite numerous news reports and calls by animal rights activists and groups, the lone elephant in Islamabad zoo, Kaavan, is still kept under miserable conditions.
The very fact that he has had no companion for years shows how little the zoo administration understands the needs of the mammal. Elephants are emotional creatures with a high empathy level, which is why their need to be around their own kind and be free is acutely important for their wellbeing. If Kaavan is chained again, even if temporarily, his mental status can hugely be affected. Why wouldn’t the zoo administration just let him go, is beyond comprehension.
Singer Cher also has shown interest in housing him in an elephant sanctuary where Kaavan can live a better life, but the administration has repeatedly turned down such offers which only shows that the plea has hurt their ego. It is less about the wellbeing of Kaavan and more about their inflated sense of self-importance.
, September 25th, 2017.
Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.
- Court upholds Salvadoran woman's 30-year sentence after stillbirth
- Clarus XC Technology the Official Screen of CineAsia 2017
- MoviePass Signs Marketing Performance-Based Revenue Deal with Movie Distributor and Releases Data to Show Its Impact On Movie Theater Ticket Sales
- NATO Hails Opening of Saudi Arabian Movie Theater Market
- COMING SOON: ‘Ready Player One,’ ‘Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse,’ ‘Alita: Battle Angel,’ ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom,’ and Horse Stuff
- AMC Entertainment Announces MoU with The Public Investment Fund, the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Saudi Arabia
- Seating Boom: How Theater Renovations Can Impact Exhibition in 2018
- Powster Launches Responsive Web Platform For Powerful Documentary Unrest
- Fandango: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Is a Force to Behold as Company’s Top Pre-Seller of 2017
- GDC Technology Spotlights Revolutionary Cinema Automation 2.0 at CineAsia 2017
- Regal and IMAX Launch Virtual Reality Centre in NYC’s Times Square
- Palestine's Abbas says US Jerusalem decision 'greatest crime'
- Trump's Jerusalem decision shows lack of respect for Palestinian nation: Iran's Rouhani
- El Salvador reviews controversial baby-murder case
- Starbucks wi-fi makes computers mine crypto-currency
- Saw no signs of militancy in Akayed, says his mother-in-law
- New Orleans man sues Saints for refund over national anthem protests
- Kevin Hart Contemplates If He's Been Naughty Or Nice While Opening Up About His 'Tough' Year
- John Stamos Fiancée Caitlin McHugh Are Expecting — 'I'll Be A Fun Dad'!!
- Happy News — Kirsten Dunst Is Expecting Her First Child With Fiancé Jesse Plemons!