Polar lights seen from near Brandenburg in 2014. Photo: DPA.
Dress warmly and hope for clear skies because it may be possible to spot the Northern Lights from Germany on Friday and Saturday night.
“The Northern Lights may be visible all the way to southern Germany," said Jens Berdermann from the German Aerospace Center (DLR).
Berdermann expects the lights to be particularly visible on Friday night, though he says it could be hit or miss.
According to DLR experts, there were energetic solar flares on Wednesday. US space agency NASA reported that one of these flares was the strongest in twelve years.
These strong solar flares are what help make the Northern Lights visible. The sun has also been pretty energetic over the past few days, and observing the phenomenon in Germany is more likely when the sun is particularly active.
This activity leads to massive eruptions, in which huge amounts of electrically charged particles are thrown into space. The charged particles ejected by the flares are perceived as lights when they hit the Earth's atmosphere.
But the visibility of the lights also depend on the orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field and on how the particles hit the earth, explains Monika Korte, an expert from the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) in Potsdam.
The German Weather Service (DWD) moreover predicts cloudy nights for Germany in the following days and forecast that rain could dominate the north of the country.
There’s hope for southern Bavaria, though. According to the DWD, skies there will only be partly covered by clouds.
The Northern Lights can best be viewed not only when skies are clear, but also in a place with little light on the ground and with a good view to the north.
They can also be seen from both poles of the world. While lights in the polar regions usually flicker blue or purple, lights seen from central Europe are more often red in colour.
- Gaza is trending at 10 in India
- Rs 650 is trending at 9 in India
- Jharkhand's Kumardubi is trending at 8 in India
- Arun Sadhu is trending at 6 in India
- #Super30 is trending at 5 in India
- #MaharawalRatanSingh is trending at 4 in India
- #DeendayalUpadhyaya is trending at 3 in India
- Studio Weekend Estimates: ‘Kingsman’ Golden w/ $39M; ‘Lego Ninjago’ Starts w/ $21.2M; R-Rated Titles Comprise 8 of Top 10
- Trio through to Uruguay as Korea DPR retain title
- Trump slaps travel restrictions on N Korea, Venezuela in sweeping new ban
- London mayor says Britain should not host President Trump on state visit
- Chastened Merkel braces for coalition tussle after vote
- Venezuela added to US travel ban
- Govt to finalise health surcharge policy after PM returns
- Moeen Ali smashes second fastest ODI century for England, helps them beat West Indies
- India clinch ODI series with hat-trick of wins against Australia
- Barca, Real and Atletico all win in La Liga
- Seven pro-Jamaat-e-Islami doctors face police grilling over ‘violent sabotage plan'
- BNP rejects Hasina's 'safe zone' solution to Rohingya crisis
- Man beats sister to death over marriage dispute