Polar lights seen from near Brandenburg in 2014. Photo: DPA.
Dress warmly and hope for clear skies because it may be possible to spot the Northern Lights from Germany on Friday and Saturday night.
“The Northern Lights may be visible all the way to southern Germany," said Jens Berdermann from the German Aerospace Center (DLR).
Berdermann expects the lights to be particularly visible on Friday night, though he says it could be hit or miss.
According to DLR experts, there were energetic solar flares on Wednesday. US space agency NASA reported that one of these flares was the strongest in twelve years.
These strong solar flares are what help make the Northern Lights visible. The sun has also been pretty energetic over the past few days, and observing the phenomenon in Germany is more likely when the sun is particularly active.
This activity leads to massive eruptions, in which huge amounts of electrically charged particles are thrown into space. The charged particles ejected by the flares are perceived as lights when they hit the Earth's atmosphere.
But the visibility of the lights also depend on the orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field and on how the particles hit the earth, explains Monika Korte, an expert from the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) in Potsdam.
The German Weather Service (DWD) moreover predicts cloudy nights for Germany in the following days and forecast that rain could dominate the north of the country.
There’s hope for southern Bavaria, though. According to the DWD, skies there will only be partly covered by clouds.
The Northern Lights can best be viewed not only when skies are clear, but also in a place with little light on the ground and with a good view to the north.
They can also be seen from both poles of the world. While lights in the polar regions usually flicker blue or purple, lights seen from central Europe are more often red in colour.
- Video Vault: Faryd Mondragon talks France 1998
- Contrasting styles match-up in Asian finale
- The Week in Numbers
- Fate of Zimbabwe's Mugabe hangs in the balance amid coup confusion
- Negative politics to be rejected by people in next year's general elections: CM
- All obstacles in Karachi Circular Railway project to be removed: Murad
- German coalition talks go into overtime as parties fail to yield an agreement
- UN Security Council to discuss new resolution on Syria investigative mission on Friday
- Box Office Predictions: Vidya Balan’s Tumhari Sulu Zareen Khan’s Aksar 2
- EU, Japan foreign ministers to see Rohingya plight at Bangladesh refugee camps
- Footballer turned LeT militant surrenders in Kashmir
- NGT lifts ban on construction in Delhi-NCR, allows trucks
- Two kids of a family die after eating dinner
- Mukul Roy moves Delhi HC against phone tapping
- Police detain five suspected JMB operatives in Naogaon
- More of the year's best architecture from day two of World Architecture Festival 2017
- Stop Reinventing The Tank
- Surrender: We’ll Not Kill You, IGP Kashmir To Terrorists
- Life in suspense: the refugees in Germany who can’t reunite with their families
- Germany knocks US off its throne and places first in global image ranking