Referee Bibiana Steinhaus is pictured during the German first division Bundesliga football match between Hertha Berlin and Werder Bremen on Sunday in Berlin. Photo: Tobias SCHWARZ / AFP
Germany's Bibiana Steinhaus made history on Sunday by becoming the first female referee to officiate a match in a top European league.
The 38-year-old police officer became the first woman to ref a top-tier match in the German, English, French, Italian or Spanish leagues when she took charge of Hertha Berlin's home Bundesliga match against Werder Bremen.
Having been named on the official list of Bundesliga referees for 2017/18, Steinhaus sat out the first two rounds of German league matches before making her top-tier debut at Berlin's Olympic Stadium.
She has been refereeing since 2007 and officiated the women's Champions League final this year plus the 2012 women's Olympic tournament final in London.
Steinhaus had already built up a wealth of experience by refereeing around 80 second division games and was the fourth official on numerous occasions in the German league, but this is her first time refereeing in Germany's top flight.
- Justice League Begins Overseas Run, Claims Top Opening Day of All Time in Brazil
- ‘Coco’ Becomes Highest-Grossing Film Ever in Mexico
- Kharbin looking for final consolation
- Video Vault: Faryd Mondragon talks France 1998
- Contrasting styles match-up in Asian finale
- Army car falls into roadside ditch killing two in Chittagong
- World Cup: Peru declares public holiday after qualification
- US Must Invest In Natural Strategic Partner India: Randall Schriver
- The Netherlands must prepare for a hard Brexit, senior MPs say
- Russian and Czech presidents to meet on November 21 — Kremlin aide
- Justice League Movie Review
- Trump to reverse ban on importing elephants killed as trophies
- German coalition talks go into overtime as parties fail to yield an agreement
- Major League Rugby nears kick-off as next attempt to make US a union power
- Discord over judges’ service rules removed, law minister says after meeting top judges
- The Crescent Movie trailer
- EU, Japan foreign ministers to see Rohingya plight at Bangladesh refugee camps
- Clashes among ruling party leaders turn Dhaka’s Azimpur into battlefield
- Glass Jaw Movie
- Footballer turned LeT militant surrenders in Kashmir