Syrian pro-government forces hold a position near the village of al-Maleha on Saturday during the ongoing battle against Isis jihadists. Photo: AFP
German authorities believe the Islamic State group holds some 11,100 blank Syrian passports that can be completed with any individual's details, weekly newspaper Bild am Sonntag reported on Sunday.
Investigators have assembled a list of serial numbers of the blank passports and the authorities that issued them, the newspaper reported, citing confidential documents from federal police and the interior ministry.
The stolen passports are genuine identity papers that have not yet been filled out with an individual's details, making them a valuable tool for forgers.
In total, German security services are aware of some 18,002 blank Syrian passports stolen from Syrian government sites, including thousands held by groups other than Isis.
"Developments in connection with the refugee situation have shown that terrorist organisations are using the opportunity to infiltrate potential attackers or supporters into Europe and Germany undetected," a spokeswoman for the BKA federal criminal police told Bild am Sonntag.
Members of the group behind a series of coordinated bomb and gun attacks in Paris that claimed 130 lives in November 2015 were found to have used fake Syrian passports.
However, "'Fake or altered passports are mostly used for illegal entry without further motives like carrying out a terrorist attack," the spokeswoman said.
Some 8,625 passports checked by German migration authorities in 2016 turned out to be fakes according to the documents seen by Bild am Sonntag.
But the files provided no information on how many of the passports were among those that had passed through IS' hands.
- Rangpur police detain two Union Council members over attack on Hindu homes
- Govt working to equally develop all parts of country: Zubair
- FATA Reforms Implementation Committee working to resolve all matters relating to merger of FATA with KP
- Security forces arrest five terrorists in Balochistan
- 370,000 undocumented Afghan refugees registered across country
- All obstacles in Karachi Circular Railway project to be removed: Murad
- Russian ships help remove 1,100 tonnes of Syria’s chemical weapons
- Russia, Iran, Turkey presidents to discuss Syria in Sochi
- Pakistan Needs To Be Told US Won't Tolerate Terrorist Safe Havens: John C Rood
- Investments, good services can make living in Arctic more attractive — experts
- Siemens closes Hengelo factory with the loss of 600 jobs
- Two hanged in Jessore for murdering freedom fighter in 1994
- German coalition talks go into overtime as parties fail to yield an agreement
- Apple iPhone X’s unresponsive screen in cold weather has been patched with iOS 11.1.2 update
- Eight arrested in Amsterdam in joint Dutch Irish drugs crackdown
- Russian planes destroy over 1,250 terrorist facilities in Syria in past week
- Outcome of UN SC vote to have no impact on Geneva talks — Russian envoy
- Leak-marred JSC tests end, Education Minister Nahid blames teachers
- Russian project to build moon orbiter estimated at over $33.5 million
- US warns of Christmas terror threat in Europe