When German tabloids started excitedly reporting about a tear gas attack in Frankfurt Airport on Monday morning, the story soon got picked up by international media outlets.
Shortly before midday on Monday Bild published a short article with the headline “several injured after tear gas attack!”
In the article Bild explained that the attack had taken place at Frankfurt Airport and referred to a tweet from a Max Schneider as their sole form of evidence for the alleged attack. But a strange evidence loop emerged as Max Schneider's tweet referred to Bild as his source of information.
The news soon filtered through German online media and Twitter before being put up by international media outlets including the Daily Mail and China Xinhua News.
The reality of the incident is somewhat less dramatic. The fire services were called in after some passengers complained about breathing problems. But after they could not detect any form of gas in the air they gave the all clear.
Check-in counters which were temporarily closed were reopened by 12.30pm.
Federal police say that six people are being treated for “light injuries” relating to their airways. The source of the passengers’ breathing problems remains unclear.
- Video Vault: Faryd Mondragon talks France 1998
- Army car falls into roadside ditch killing two in Chittagong
- Govt working to equally develop all parts of country: Zubair
- The Netherlands must prepare for a hard Brexit, senior MPs say
- Trump to reverse ban on importing elephants killed as trophies
- Google Assistant now able to troubleshoot problems on your Pixel 2
- German coalition talks go into overtime as parties fail to yield an agreement
- Biman pays Tk 500,000 to expatriate family in UK for delay
- Girl who survived Far East plane crash in hospital with her mother, condition stable
- Will Sridevi make a guest appearance in her daughter Janhvi Kapoor’s debut Dhadak?
- Clashes among ruling party leaders turn Dhaka’s Azimpur into battlefield
- Footballer turned LeT militant surrenders in Kashmir
- Mukul Roy moves Delhi HC against phone tapping
- Minibus collides with truck in Volga Area, 15 dead
- Ex-NFL player confirmed as first case of CTE found in living person – researchers
- India, Russia Chopper Deal On Right Track
- Surrender: We’ll Not Kill You, IGP Kashmir To Terrorists
- Army Plans 17 Tunnels Between Ladakh And Arunachal To Counter Growing Chinese Presence Along LAC
- Gabbay reaffirms Left 'prioritizes' Liberalism over Judaism
- Life in suspense: the refugees in Germany who can’t reunite with their families