A view of the mosaic from above. Photo: DPA.
Thousands of cocktail umbrellas were placed on the beach to create a colourful mosaic in the North Sea resort town of Esens-Bensersiel on Sunday in an attempt to set a new world record.
Intending it to be the largest mosaic of its kind, volunteers who had helped out are now hoping for an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records, according to event organizer and head of tourism marketing in Esens-Bensersiel, Benjamin Buserath.
When viewed from above, the mosaic clearly spells out “Esens-Besnsersiel” in the colour blue against a yellow background.
As volunteers helped line the mini paper umbrellas in the sand, donations were also collected in the East Frisian seaside town for the children's hospice in nearby city of Cuxhaven, reported the local tourist office.
By Sunday evening, around 23,000 umbrellas had been placed on the beach, according to the resort area's website. The initial plan was to attempt to lay down 30,000 umbrellas but the volunteers later in the day decided against it.
“The team was a little behind schedule because it was so windy," said Buserath.
They had started working at around 11am but by around 3pm, only about half of the umbrellas had been set down, he explained.
According to Buserath, the previous record was 20,000 cocktail umbrellas.
- Gaza is trending at 10 in India
- Rs 650 is trending at 9 in India
- Jharkhand's Kumardubi is trending at 8 in India
- Arun Sadhu is trending at 6 in India
- #Super30 is trending at 5 in India
- #MaharawalRatanSingh is trending at 4 in India
- #DeendayalUpadhyaya is trending at 3 in India
- Studio Weekend Estimates: ‘Kingsman’ Golden w/ $39M; ‘Lego Ninjago’ Starts w/ $21.2M; R-Rated Titles Comprise 8 of Top 10
- Trio through to Uruguay as Korea DPR retain title
- Trump slaps travel restrictions on N Korea, Venezuela in sweeping new ban
- London mayor says Britain should not host President Trump on state visit
- Chastened Merkel braces for coalition tussle after vote
- Venezuela added to US travel ban
- Govt to finalise health surcharge policy after PM returns
- Moeen Ali smashes second fastest ODI century for England, helps them beat West Indies
- India clinch ODI series with hat-trick of wins against Australia
- Barca, Real and Atletico all win in La Liga
- Seven pro-Jamaat-e-Islami doctors face police grilling over ‘violent sabotage plan'
- BNP rejects Hasina's 'safe zone' solution to Rohingya crisis
- Man beats sister to death over marriage dispute