A view of the mosaic from above. Photo: DPA.
Thousands of cocktail umbrellas were placed on the beach to create a colourful mosaic in the North Sea resort town of Esens-Bensersiel on Sunday in an attempt to set a new world record.
Intending it to be the largest mosaic of its kind, volunteers who had helped out are now hoping for an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records, according to event organizer and head of tourism marketing in Esens-Bensersiel, Benjamin Buserath.
When viewed from above, the mosaic clearly spells out “Esens-Besnsersiel” in the colour blue against a yellow background.
As volunteers helped line the mini paper umbrellas in the sand, donations were also collected in the East Frisian seaside town for the children's hospice in nearby city of Cuxhaven, reported the local tourist office.
By Sunday evening, around 23,000 umbrellas had been placed on the beach, according to the resort area's website. The initial plan was to attempt to lay down 30,000 umbrellas but the volunteers later in the day decided against it.
“The team was a little behind schedule because it was so windy," said Buserath.
They had started working at around 11am but by around 3pm, only about half of the umbrellas had been set down, he explained.
According to Buserath, the previous record was 20,000 cocktail umbrellas.
- Justice League Begins Overseas Run, Claims Top Opening Day of All Time in Brazil
- ‘Coco’ Becomes Highest-Grossing Film Ever in Mexico
- The Qualifiers in Numbers
- Security forces arrest five terrorists in Balochistan
- Many Dutch children still don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables: report
- Trump to reverse ban on importing elephants killed as trophies
- No Contradiction In Blocking Resolution On Masood Azhar: China
- Investigation underway into disappearance of world kickboxing champion Innokenty Makarov
- German coalition talks go into overtime as parties fail to yield an agreement
- Eight arrested in Amsterdam in joint Dutch Irish drugs crackdown
- Facebook launches new tools for video creators
- Russia, China to hold joint computer-assisted missile defense drill
- Iron Man-esque flying suit sets world speed record
- Girl who survived Far East plane crash in hospital with her mother, condition stable
- Will Sridevi make a guest appearance in her daughter Janhvi Kapoor’s debut Dhadak?
- Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro (2018), Galaxy J5 Prime (2017) spotted online
- Donetsk expects to swap prisoners with Kiev by year-end — diplomat
- Jennifer Hudson Splits Receives Protective Order From Fiancé David Otunga
- Rupee breaks free, runs up 69 paise on Moody's India upgrade
- Mukul Roy moves Delhi HC against phone tapping