Not the best of friends. Photo: DPA
President Donald Trump spoke by phone Thursday with Chancellor Angela Merkel, the White House said, after breaking with custom and waiting days to congratulate the German leader on her re-election.
The pair connected after growing questions about a delay in the call between the uneasy allies.
"President Donald J. Trump spoke today with Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany to congratulate her on her election victory and wish her well in the formation of her fourth government," said a statement from the White House on Thursday evening.
The US leader underscored the countries' "deep ties" and Washington's "commitment to our longstanding, strong alliance."
The White House did not immediately congratulate Merkel on her election over the weekend, as is customary, after a campaign which saw Merkel implicitly criticize Trump.
"It's obviously been a complicated relationship," said Karen Donfried, president of The German Marshall Fund of the United States.
That is unlikely to change in Merkel's fourth term.
"For her, clearly this is a critical relationship," she told AFP. "Merkel is still going to try to make the relationship work to the greatest extent possible."
"On Trump's side, my expectation is that he will stay very focused on his two big criticisms, one that Germany doesn't spend enough on defense and two that Germany has a 'massive trade surplus.'"
According to the White House, Trump and Merkel discussed the Iran nuclear deal and "how to counter Iran's malign activities in the Middle East," as well as the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
Concerning the Iran deal Merkel has "renewed her support for this agreement, which is an important instrument to prevent Iran from equipping itself with nuclear weapons," according to a statement released by German government spokesman Steffen Seibert.
- Trauma center starts functioning in Haripur
- Respect of judiciary responsibility of all citizens: Ayaz
- ECP to deploy Pak Army at all polling stations during by-elections in NA-4, Peshawar
- Governor felicitates Hindu community on eve of Diwali, New Year
- Katchi Abadis Regularization 2012 Scheme extended to rural areas
- 2500 schools to be shifted on solar energy in Sindh
- Over Rs 3 bn being spent on Engineering Information Technology University in Rahim Yar Khan
- Balochistan government making all out efforts for uplift of health sector
- Work on Rs 22 bn Gilgit-Chitral expressway project to be initiated in current year: CM Gilgit Baltistan
- AJK PM strongly condemns unprovoked firing of Indian troops on civilian population at LoC, state terrorism in occupied Kashmir
- ECP restores membership of 2 MNAs, 3 MPAs of KP
- Punjab government begins to provide 50% subsidy for installation of tunnel
- CEC suspends membership of 20 members of GBLA for not submitting assets details
- Pakistan Motorcar Rally to start on Oct 21
- 7 terrorists of banned outfit arrested in D.I.Khan
- Landsliding kills one coal miner in Balochistan
- CM expresses best wishes for newly appointed Corps Commander Lahore
- Police recover huge quantity of arms and ammunition near Kohat
- PFA playing key role to ensure provision of clean food to public
- Governor, UK Deputy High Commissioner discuss bilateral ties