Kathua case: the child was kidnapped, drugged and raped repeatedly before being killed

New Delhi:  The father of the eight-year-old girl who was raped and murdered in Jammu and Kashmir's Kathua requested the Supreme Court today to transfer the trial against eight accused men to Chandigarh, citing a "backlash" and lack of security for his family.

"We are apprehensive that the trial will not happen peacefully, seeing the condition in Jammu... Seeing that lawyers opposed it in Kathua and did not let the chargesheet proceed," the family's lawyer said.

The murder of the girl, who belonged to a nomadic Muslim community, left the country in shock after a police chargesheet exposed the horror of what six men subjected the child to.

Two BJP ministers were forced to quit Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti's cabinet for defending the accused and backing a rally calling for their release. 

India spoke up in one voice against the horrific gang-rape and killing of 8-year-old girl in Kathua

Industries Minister Chandra Prakash Ganga and Forest Minister Lal Singh had addressed a rally in support of the accused by a group called the Hindu Ekta Manch in March. 

Chandra Prakash Ganga had allegedly termed the arrest as "jungle raj". Lal Singh had said: "Why such a hullabaloo on the death of this one girl... many such girls have died here."

Their exit came after Prime Minister Narendra Modi's sharp comments on the crime. "I want to assure the country that no culprit will be spared, complete justice will be done. Our daughters will definitely get justice," PM Modi said at an event. 

Prime Minister Narendra Modi's had said "no culprit will be spared, complete justice will be done."

The Jammu Bar Association, whose members also participated in these rallies, say they are not satisfied with the police investigation and want a CBI investigation.The eight-year-old child was kidnapped while she was grazing horses on January 10. For a week, she was sedated, starved and gang-raped by a group that included police officers. Then she was murdered - her head was bashed with a stone to ensure that she was dead.

Eight men have been arrested for the crime. The police said the rape-murder was meant as a terror tactic to drive out the Bakarwal community from a Hindu-dominated area.