District admin asks Haryana to take over Ryan International

Croak

District admin asks Haryana to take over Ryan International

A three-member fact finding committee has also suggested to either de-recognise the school or impose fines for each of the lapses made by its management. PTI file photo

The Gurugram district administration has asked Haryana government to take over the reins of the Ryan International Public School, where a seven-year-old boy was found murdered last week.

A three-member fact finding committee has also suggested to either de-recognise the school or impose fines for each of the lapses made by its management.

The panel, set up by the district administration soon after the murder of class 2 student Pradhuman, submitted its report on Tuesday.

“Yes, we have sent these recommendations to the education department for its decision,” Gurugram district commissioner Vinay Pratap Singh told Deccan Herald.

The education department can either take over the school administration or cancel its license. Conversely, it can also charge Rs 25,000 for each of the lapses found by the fact finding committee, Singh said.

“We are waiting for the instructions. The (Ryan) school will continue to remain closed for next two days,” he said indicating that a final decision on the recommendations of the district administration would come soon.

Among the lapses noticed by the fact finding panel was lack of police verification of bus drivers, conductors or other staff. The broken boundary wall has also broadened the scope of the investigation.

Gurugram police reiterated that only the bus conductor had killed the seven-year-old and no one else was involved.

The conductor, Ashok Kumar, arrested after Pradhuman’s murder last Friday, was produced before a court and was sent to judicial custody. Police have taken him in remand for interrogation.

“It is clear that only Ashok (bus-conductor) is involved and murdered the 7-year-old. No other person is involved. Interrogation of the bus conductor is complete and the remand has ended. He told us whatever we needed to know. We are satisfied,” Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Birem Singh told reporters.

During investigations, two “children” disclosed that Ashok was present in the toilet before the incident, the ACP said, adding that the police would file the charge-sheet in Court by Saturday.

The HRD Ministry, meanwhile, has compiled all its advisory so far on safety of school going children and sent it as a circular to the states and secondary school examination bodies.

It would also hold a meeting with the Women and Child Development Ministry to develop guidelines and protocols for the safety of school children.

Lawyers’ plea

The Supreme Court on Tuesay agreed to examine a plea by two women lawyers for laying down “non-negotiable” child safety conditions to protect school-going children from offences such as sexual abuse and murder.

A day after a plea was filed by the father of a murdered child in a Gurugram school for safety guidelines in schools across the country, the advocates approached the apex court with a separate petition for the strict implementation of the existing norms. The plea also sought the cancellation of licences and forfeiture of state grants of the erring schools.

A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices Amitava Roy and A M Khanwilkar said the plea, filed by lawyers Abha R Sharma and Sangeeta Bharti, will be heard along with the petition by Barun Chandra Thakur, the father of the murdered child.