Sri Lanka

President Vladimir Putin has called up 160,000 men aged 18-30, Russias highest number of conscripts since 2011, as the country moves to expand the size of its military.The spring call-up for a years military service came several months after Putin said Russia should increase the overall size of its military to almost 2.39 million and its number of active servicemen to 1.5 million.That is a rise of 180,000 over the coming three years.Vice Adm Vladimir Tsimlyansky said the new conscripts would not be sent to fight in Ukraine for what Russia calls its special military operation.However, there have been reports of conscripts being killed in fighting in Russias border regions and they were sent to fight in Ukraine in the early months of the full-scale war.The current draft, which takes place between April and July, comes despite US attempts to forge a ceasefire in the war.There was no let-up in the violence on Tuesday, with Ukraine saying that a Russian attack on a power facility in the southern city of Kherson had left 45,000 people without electricity.Although Russia has turned down a full US-brokered ceasefire with Ukraine, it says it did agree to stop attacking Ukraines energy facilities.
In an apparent attempt to deny Moscow had broken the terms of that deal, Russian officials said they had told Putin that Ukrainian drones had carried out attacks with little sign of a break.Russia calls up conscripts in the spring and autumn but the latest draft of 160,000 young men is 10,000 higher than the same period in 2024.Since the start of last year, the pool of young men available for the draft has been increased by raising the maximum age from 27 to 30.As well as call-up notices delivered by post, Russias young men will be receiving notifications on the state services website Gosuslugi.In Moscow there were reports that call-ups had already been sent out on 1 April via the mos.ru city website.Increasing numbers of Russians are trying to avoid the army by taking on alternative civilian service.
But human rights lawyer Timofey Vaskin warned on independent Russian media that every new call-up since the start of the war had become a lottery:Authorities are coming up with new forms of refilling the army.Quite apart from its twice-yearly draft, Russia has also called up large numbers of men as contract soldiers and recruited thousands of soldiers from North Korea.Moscow has had to respond to extensive losses in Ukraine, with more than 100,000 verified by the BBC and Mediazona as soldiers killed in Ukraine.The true number could be more than double.Putin has scaled up the size of the military three times since he ordered troops to capture Ukraine in February 2022.Russias defence ministry linked the December 2023 increase in the size of the military to growing threats from both the war in Ukraine and the ongoing expansion of Nato.Nato has expanded to include Finland and Sweden, as a direct result of Russias invasion of Ukraine.Finland has Natos longest border with Russia, at 1,343km (834 miles) and Prime Minister Petteri Orpo said on Tuesday that his country would join other states neighbouring Russia in pulling out of the Ottawa convention banning anti-personnel mines.Poland and the Baltic states made similar decisions two weeks ago because of the military threat from Russia.Orpo said the decision to resume using anti-personnel mines was based on military advice, and that the people of Finland had nothing to worry about.The government in Helsinki also said defence spending would be increased to 3% of economic output (GDP), up from 2.4% last year.Source: BBC--Agencies





Unlimited Portal Access + Monthly Magazine - 12 issues


Contribute US to Start Broadcasting - It's Voluntary!


ADVERTISE


Merchandise (Peace Series)

 


Motion to remove Deshabandu from IGP post to be tabled in Parliament next week


[Sri Lanka] - Govt. launches new programme to supply inexpensive and healthy meals


Putin begins biggest Russian military call-up in years


Earthquake of magnitude 4.3 hits Pakistan, tremors felt in several parts of country


Ex-chief minister SM Ranjith sentenced to 16 years RI


[Sri Lanka] - Sri Lanka records over 720,000 tourist arrivals in very first quarter of 2025


Police raid in search of Ishara Sewwandi, seize narcotics in Anuradhapura


Cory Booker breaks record for longest Senate speech after 24 hours


[Sri Lanka] - Shammi Silva selected to 3 ICC committees


Farmers slam govt. over delayed fertilizer aid


Suspects jailed over two shooting incidents in Southern Province


Mexico s security chief quietly forms an elite force to take on the drug cartels


[Sri Lanka] - PM Harini in France to participate in top-level conference at UNESCO


[Sri Lanka] - Two Japanese Navy ships show up in Colombo


Life insurance scheme for workers in coconut, Thal and Kithul markets


Gold reaches record high as tariff worries reinforce safe-haven? demand


Warm weather condition advisory released for a number of areas


[Sri Lanka] - Shadows to for a short time disappear as Zero Shadow Days begin in Sri Lanka


Six hospitalised after fire on Malaysia gas pipeline, amongst 33 hurt


Ex-Minister S. Viyalendiran even more remanded


MP Chamara Sampath brought to court


Multiple-vehicle accident on expressway


Japan approximates feared megaquake might trigger $1.8 trln in damage, kill 300,000 individuals


Sri Lanka to dispatch medical team to assist Myanmar earthquake victims


NPP govt. will certainly introduce brand-new constitution Justice Minister


Second phase of first school term begins


Three Bangladeshis arrested at BIA in attempt to illegally migrate to Greece


[Sri Lanka] - New tax guidelines work from today


Price of milk tea increased


Heavy rainfalls expected in parts of the island today


Lanka IOC likewise decreases fuel costs


Israeli military orders the evacuation of Gaza s southern city of Rafah


Price of petrol reduced


Laugfs treks LP gas rates


President pledges recruitment of 30,000 youth to public service


[Sri Lanka] - Ex-President Ranil gets in touch with govt. to send medical group to aid Myanmar earthquake victims


Myanmar states week of national mourning as quake deaths climb past 2,000


[Sri Lanka] - Unique transport facility for voters with physical disabilities EC