Afghanistan

An Israeli airstrike killed four people including a Hezbollah official in Beirut'ssouthern suburbs on Tuesday, a Lebanese security source said, further testing a shaky ceasefire between Israel and Iran-backed Hezbollah.
The Israeli military said the official & Hassan Bdeir & was a member of a Hezbollah unit and Iran'sQuds Force, and he had assisted the Palestinian group Hamas in planning a &significant and imminent terror attack against Israeli civilians,& Reuters reported.
The Lebanese security source said the target was a Hezbollah figure whose responsibilities included the Palestinian file.
The Lebanese health ministry said the strike killed four people & including a woman & and wounded seven others.
It marked Israel'ssecond airstrike in the Hezbollah-controlled suburb of Beirut in five days, adding to strains on the U.S.-brokered ceasefire that ended last year'sdevastating conflict.
The attacks on Beirut'ssouthern suburbs have resumed at a time of broader escalation in the region, with Israel having restarted Gaza strikes after a two-month truce and the United States hitting the Iran-aligned Houthis of Yemen in a bid to get them to stop attacking Red Sea shipping.
Hezbollah lawmaker Ibrahim Moussawi said the Israeli attack amounted to &a major and severe aggression that has escalated the situation to an entirely different level&.
Speaking in a televised statement after visiting the building that was struck, he called on the Lebanese state to &activate the highest level of diplomacy to find solutions&.
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said the eliminated Hezbollah operative posed &a real and immediate threat&.
&We expect Lebanon to take action to uproot terrorist organizations acting within its borders against Israel,& he said.
Israel dealt severe blows to Hezbollah in the war, killing thousands of its fighters, destroying much of it arsenal and eliminating its top leadership including Hassan Nasrallah.
Hezbollah has denied any role in recent rocket attacks from Lebanon towards Israel, including one that prompted Israel to carry out an airstrike on the southern suburbs last Friday.
Tuesday'sstrike in the early hours appeared to have damaged the upper three floors of a building, a Reuters reporter at the scene said, with the balconies of those floors blown out.
The glass on the floors below was intact, indicating a targeted strike.
Ambulances were at the scene as families fled to other parts of Beirut.
There was no advance warning, in contrast to the attack on Friday when the Israeli military announced which building it intended to hit and ordered residents to leave the area.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned the latest airstrike, calling it a &dangerous warning& that signals premeditated intentions against Lebanon, which would intensify diplomatic outreach and mobilise international allies.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said the strike was a flagrant breach of a U.N.
Security Council Resolution upon which the ceasefire was based, and the ceasefire arrangement.
U.S.
BACKS ISRAEL The ceasefire agreement demanded that southern Lebanon be free of Hezbollah fighters and weapons, that Lebanese troops deploy into the area, and that Israeli troops withdraw.
But each side accuses the other of failing to implement the terms fully.
Israel says Hezbollah still has infrastructure in the south, while Lebanon and Hezbollah say Israel is occupying Lebanese soil by not withdrawing from five hilltop positions.
The U.S.
State Department said that Israel was defending itself from rocket attacks that came from Lebanon and that Washington blamed &terrorists& for the resumption of hostilities.
&Hostilities have resumed because terrorists launched rockets into Israel from Lebanon,& a State Department spokesperson said in an email, responding to a question from Reuters seeking reaction to Tuesday'sairstrike.
Washington supported Israel'sresponse, the spokesperson said.
The Israel-Hezbollah conflict was ignited when Hezbollah opened fire in support of Hamas at the start of the Gaza war.
It escalated in September when Israel went on the offensive, declaring the aim of securing the return home of tens of thousands of people evacuated from homes in the north.
The war uprooted more than a million people and killed at least 3,768 people in Lebanon, according to a Lebanese health ministry toll from November.
Dozens more have been reported killed by Israeli fire since the ceasefire.
Lebanon'sfigures do not distinguish between civilians and fighters.
During the war, Hezbollah strikes killed 45 civilians in northern Israel and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
At least 73 Israeli soldiers were killed in northern Israel, the Golan Heights, and in combat in southern Lebanon, according to Israeli authorities.
  The post Israel kills Hezbollah official in deadly Beirut airstrike first appeared on TINS News.





Unlimited Portal Access + Monthly Magazine - 12 issues


Contribute US to Start Broadcasting - It's Voluntary!


ADVERTISE


Merchandise (Peace Series)

 


[Afghanistan] - Exports to Pakistan grind to a stop over defective scanner at Torkham


[Afghanistan] - IEA clarifies yearly payment for victims of Afghanistan's 20-year war


[Afghanistan] - IPL 2025: Sunday's KKR vs LSG match pressed out to Tuesday


Military confrontation seems inevitable if no new Iran nuclear deal, France says


Tornadoes, heavy rains rip throughout central, southern United States


Tahawol: Escalating tensions in Middle East discussed


Saar: Review of world's financial status


[Afghanistan] - Panjshir to Kabul water channel project 'waiting on spending plan approval'


[Afghanistan] - Female reporters complain about absence of access to precise and prompt info


[Afghanistan] - Pakistan 'extends' deadline for a week for Afghans to leave the country


[Afghanistan] - Ministry of Economy gets in touch with United States to launch Afghanistan's frozen funds


[Afghanistan] - Concerns raised over damage of World Bank's incomplete jobs in Afghanistan


[Afghanistan] - IPL 2025: Batters in race for prominent Orange Cap


UN urges help to Myanmar quake survivors before monsoons struck, death toll climbs towards 3,000


As Iran tensions build, US military moves warplanes to reinforce Middle East


Saar: China’s military drills around Taiwan discussed


Israel kills Hezbollah authorities in deadly Beirut airstrike


Afghanistan’s reconstruction is in the interest of EU: Uzbek president


Bulgaria brings five individuals to trial over deaths of 18 Afghan migrants


Gold climbs to record high as tariff worries bolster safe-haven demand


US won’t rest until all Americans detained in Afghanistan brought home: Rubio


China releases military drills around Taiwan, calls its president a 'parasite'


Russian Supreme Court to consider suspending ban on IEA


Tahawol: Instability of Middle East countries evaluated


Saar: Discussion on US political and financial ties with world


[Afghanistan] - Switzerland re-establishes presence in Kabul with humanitarian office


[Afghanistan] - Pakistan prepares to expel 3 million Afghan refugees this year


[Afghanistan] - Some nations preventing Afghanistan from gaining its seat at UN: Mujahid


Iran's Khamenei warns of 'strong' reaction if US attacks


Trump says Zelenskiy wants to back out of critical minerals deal