Afghanistan

U.S.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has reinforced U.S.
military capability in the Middle East with more warplanes, the Pentagon said on Tuesday, amid a more than two-week-old U.S.
bombing campaign in Yemen and mounting tensions with Iran, Reuters reported.
The Pentagon'sbrief statement did not specify which aircraft were being deployed or where precisely they were sent.
However, as many as six B-2 bombers have relocated in the past week or so to a U.S.-British military base on the Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia, according to U.S.
officials, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Experts say that puts the B-2s, which have stealth technology and are equipped to carry the heaviest U.S.
bombs and nuclear weapons, in an ideal position to operate in the Middle East.
&Should Iran or its proxies threaten American personnel and interests in the region, the United States will take decisive action to defend our people,& Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said in a statement.
The U.S.
military'sStrategic Command has declined to say how many B-2s have reached Diego Garcia and noted that it does not comment on exercises or operations involving the B-2.
There is already considerable firepower in the Middle East and the U.S.
military will soon have two aircraft carriers in the region, read the report.
U.S.
President Donald Trump threatened Iran on Sunday with bombing and secondary tariffs if Tehran did not come to an agreement with Washington over its nuclear program.
While B-2 bombers have been employed to strike buried Houthi targets in Yemen, most experts say use of the stealthy bomber is overkill there and the targets aren&t buried so deeply.
However, the B-2 is equipped to carry America'smost potent bomb — the 30,000-pound GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator.
That is the weapon that experts say could be used to strike Iran'snuclear program.
There are only 20 B-2 bombers in the Air Force'sinventory so they are usually used sparingly.
Iran'sSupreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Monday the U.S.
would receive a strong blow if Trump followed through with his threats.
Revolutionary Guards Aerospace Commander Amirali Hajizadeh threatened U.S.
forces in the Middle East, noting American bases in the Middle East and adding: &They are in a glass house and should not throw stones.& One official told Reuters that the U.S.
military was also moving some air defense capabilities from Asia to the Middle East.
In his 2017-2021 term, Trump withdrew the U.S.
from a 2015 deal between Iran and world powers that placed strict limits on Tehran'sdisputed nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.
Trump also reimposed sweeping U.S.
sanctions.
Since then, Iran has far surpassed that deal'slimits on uranium enrichment.
Western powers accuse Iran of having a clandestine agenda to develop nuclear weapons capability by enriching uranium to a high level of fissile purity, above what they say is justifiable for a civilian atomic energy program.
Tehran says its nuclear program is wholly for civilian energy purposes.
The post As Iran tensions build, US military moves warplanes to reinforce Middle East first appeared on TINS News.





Unlimited Portal Access + Monthly Magazine - 12 issues


Contribute US to Start Broadcasting - It's Voluntary!


ADVERTISE


Merchandise (Peace Series)

 


[Afghanistan] - Exports to Pakistan grind to a stop over defective scanner at Torkham


[Afghanistan] - IEA clarifies yearly payment for victims of Afghanistan's 20-year war


[Afghanistan] - IPL 2025: Sunday's KKR vs LSG match pressed out to Tuesday


Military confrontation seems inevitable if no new Iran nuclear deal, France says


Tornadoes, heavy rains rip throughout central, southern United States


Tahawol: Escalating tensions in Middle East discussed


Saar: Review of world's financial status


[Afghanistan] - Panjshir to Kabul water channel project 'waiting on spending plan approval'


[Afghanistan] - Female reporters complain about absence of access to precise and prompt info


[Afghanistan] - Pakistan 'extends' deadline for a week for Afghans to leave the country


[Afghanistan] - Ministry of Economy gets in touch with United States to launch Afghanistan's frozen funds


[Afghanistan] - Concerns raised over damage of World Bank's incomplete jobs in Afghanistan


[Afghanistan] - IPL 2025: Batters in race for prominent Orange Cap


UN urges help to Myanmar quake survivors before monsoons struck, death toll climbs towards 3,000


As Iran tensions build, US military moves warplanes to reinforce Middle East


Saar: China’s military drills around Taiwan discussed


Israel kills Hezbollah authorities in deadly Beirut airstrike


Afghanistan’s reconstruction is in the interest of EU: Uzbek president


Bulgaria brings five individuals to trial over deaths of 18 Afghan migrants


Gold climbs to record high as tariff worries bolster safe-haven demand


US won’t rest until all Americans detained in Afghanistan brought home: Rubio


China releases military drills around Taiwan, calls its president a 'parasite'


Russian Supreme Court to consider suspending ban on IEA


Tahawol: Instability of Middle East countries evaluated


Saar: Discussion on US political and financial ties with world


[Afghanistan] - Switzerland re-establishes presence in Kabul with humanitarian office


[Afghanistan] - Pakistan prepares to expel 3 million Afghan refugees this year


[Afghanistan] - Some nations preventing Afghanistan from gaining its seat at UN: Mujahid


Iran's Khamenei warns of 'strong' reaction if US attacks


Trump says Zelenskiy wants to back out of critical minerals deal