Kathmandu, July 11

Medical sector reformist and senior orthopaedic surgeon Dr Govinda KC has demanded that the government immediately halt the process of appointing vice-chairman of Medical Education Commission, claiming that the appointment procedure was erroneous. Dr KC threatened to launch a stern protest if his demand was not addressed.

The National Medical Education Act, which was passed by the House of Representatives on January 25 despite criticism from the opposition Nepali Congress party and Dr KC, has a provision to form the Medical Education Commission. Establishment of the Medical Education Commission was one of the key demands of Dr KC, for which he has staged 16 fast-unto-death strikes since July 2012.

The commission is envisioned as all powerful body to grant or revoke affiliation of medical colleges across the country and to regulate the entire medical education sector.

As per the provision in the act, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology had, around 17 days ago, published a public notice calling interested candidates to apply for the post of vice-chairperson for the commission. The deadline that ended on July 9, had received six applications for the position.

Expressing serious concern about the selection procedure of candidates, Dr KC at a press meet today said, &With the procedure it has adopted to select the vice-chair, the government is on a path to strangulate the commission before its birth.&

Rather than recruiting people with expertise in the field, the government was working to appoint people with political influence, according to Dr KC. He also said the age limit of 45 to 61, for a person to compete for the post of vice-chairperson was introduced with the sole intention of barring deserving candidates.

Dr KC expressed concern that achievements made so far in medial education sector would be in vain if the government were to follow the corrupt system in appointing the vice-chairman of the commission. The act stipulates that the candidate should not have been proven guilty of a criminal offence.

A close aide of Dr KC said, &Dr Lila Kantha Upadhyay who was found guilty of graft by the Gauri Bahadur Kari commission has also applied for the post.&

Former chair of the Special Court, Gauri Bahadur Karki had led a probe committee formed on April 2017 to investigate illegally granted affiliations to medical and dental colleges, exam fee and faculty quota of various medical colleges affiliated with Tribhuvan University and Kathmandu University.

The post ‘Appointment procedure for Medical Education Commission faulty& appeared first on The Himalayan Times.

Write comment (100 Comments)

Kathmandu, July 11

With the monsoon in full swing, the Meteorological Forecasting Division has predicted moderate to heavy rainfall throughout the country.

Heavy rainfall predicted across the country

This image shows the monsoon in full swing in Nepal. Courtesy: MFD

&Monsoon trough line is now close to Nepal and will continue to exist from the eastern to the western parts of the country for 24 hours, bringing more rains,& a meteorological analysis conducted by the MFD stated. An advisory published by the MFD on its website said monsoon rain would lash the country in the next 24 hours, beginning 6:00 am today.

Heavy rainfall predicted across the country

This rendering image shows the temperature and the rainfalls predeicted by the Meteorological Forecasting Division. Courtesy: MFD

&There is possibility of heavy rainfall in a few parts of the western, central and eastern regions, leading to rise of water level in rivers and the risk of landslides in hills. Therefore, we would like to appeal to all to stay on high alert against the possibility of natural disasters,& the advisory stated. The MFD also predicted obstruction of air and road transportation due to inimical weather conditions.

Flood Forecasting Section under the Department of Hydrology and Meteorology said there was risk of flash floods in rivers across the country, mostly in those flowing through provinces 1 and 2 and in the Chure region of Province 3, for the next two days. &Water level in the Kankai, Saptakoshi, Tamor, Dudhkoshi, Sunkoshi, Kamala and Bagmati rivers, and the East Rapti watershed is likely touching the warning mark. Swollen streams are likely in landslide-prone areas of hilly region due to debris, while low-lying areas of the Tarai and provinces 5, 6 and 7 are likely to be inundated,& read an alert issued by the FFS.

The DHM issues flood forecast bulletin at 7:00 am every day. Under special circumstances, it may issue alert warning at any time. The DHM said flood and weather forecast is provided to the National Emergency Operation Centre under the MoHA, before publishing it on the website. The forecast is circulated to all ministries, departments, Nepal Red Cross Society and organisations working on disaster risk management, besides publishing it on social media.

If water level of rivers reach or is likely to reach the red mark, general public of the concerned areas will be alerted through SMS by Nepal Telecom and Ncell, according to DHM.

The post Heavy rainfall predicted across the country appeared first on The Himalayan Times.

Write comment (91 Comments)

Kathmandu, July 11

The government has decided to provide one million rupees to the family of Saroj Narayan Mahato, who was killed in police firing at Ishwarpur of Sarlahi district, last month.

Mahato was killed in police firing while staging a protest against the death of a boy on June 30. Speaking at a press conference organised in Singha Durbar today to disclose the decisions of the recent Cabinet meeting, Minister of Communications and Information Technology Gokul Baskota said the government had also decided to bear the expenses incurred for medical treatment of the persons injured during the protest.

The Cabinet has granted approval to the concerned agencies for the procurement of electric buses. The government has formed an 11-member expert group headed by the director general at the Department of Archaeology to study and analyse the reconstruction and rehabilitation process of the historical Bagh Durbar. Recently, the Supreme Court had issued an order to the government, directing it to reconstruct the archaeological structure without distorting its originality. The structure was damaged by the 2015 earthquakes.

The government has decided to increase the paid-up capital of the Deposit and Credit Guarantee Fund to Rs 10 billion from the existing Rs 8 billion, in accordance with the commitment made to the World Bank.

The government has accepted a subsidised loan equivalent to USD 100 million from International Finance Corporation of the World Bank, to be utilised in economic growth and poverty alleviation of the country.

It has decided to grant exemption in income tax to Nepal Water and Energy Development Company, the promoter of Rasuwa-based Upper Trishuli-1 Hydropower Project, lease out 4.65 hectare forest land to Rele Khola Hydropower Project in Nuwakot for 30 years, and to acquire land for the implementation of various projects at 11 local levels.

The government has decided to form a five-member talks team led by a joint secretary at the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation to hold a bilateral dialogue with the Chinese delegation on June 25-26 in Beijing, for better flight connection between the two countries.

The Cabinet has also decided to submit the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority Amendment Bill and Prevention of Corruption Amendment Bill to the House of Representatives.

The post Minister discloses recent Cabinet decisions appeared first on The Himalayan Times.

Write comment (94 Comments)

Kathmandu, July 10

The links between population, development and human rights, including reproductive rights identified by 179 countries, including Nepal, at the International Conference on Population and Development in Cairo 25 years ago, are still relevant, said UN officials.

On the occasion of this yearWorld Population Day that calls for global attention to the unfinished business of the ICPD Programme of Action, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said carrying forward the vision of the ICPD will unlock opportunities for those left behind and help pave the way for sustainable, equitable and inclusive development for all.

UN Sustainable Development Goals are closely interrelated with demographic trends including population growth, ageing, migration and urbanisation, he said, issuing a statement. While managing these population trends, we must also recognise the relationship between population, development and individual well-being, the UN chief said, adding, promoting gender equality is one of the most reliable pathways to sustainable development and improved well-being of people across the globe.

&In November, a summit marking the 25th anniversary of the Cairo Conference will take place in Nairobi. I encourage member states to participate and to make firm political and financial commitments to realise the programme of action of the ICPD,& Guterres added.

Issuing a statement, Executive Director of United Nations Population Fund Natalia Kanem said women have the right to make their own decisions about whether, when and how often to become pregnant. &That right was reaffirmed in 1994 in Cairo at the landmark ICPD, where 179 governments agreed that sexual and reproductive health is the foundation for sustainable development.&

Despite considerable gains over the past 25 years, we still have a long way to go to live up to the promise of Cairo, the UNFPA chief said, adding that too many people continue to be left behind and too many are still unable to enjoy their rights, according to UNFPA, Nepal.

&On this World Population Day, I call on governments, civil society, communities and people from all sectors and walks of life to be bold and courageous and do the needful for women and girls, to accomplish the unfinished business of Cairo,& she added.

The post UN encourages members to realise ICPD goal appeared first on The Himalayan Times.

Write comment (93 Comments)

Kathmandu, July 11

Eighteen ministries presented their progress reports for fiscal 2018-19 to Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli during the governmentperformance review meeting held at the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers today.

The ministries making their presentation included Energy, Water Resource and Irrigation, Physical Infrastructure and Transportation, Agricultural and Livestock Development, Urban Development, Water Supply, Communication and Information Technology; Culture,Tourism and Civil Aviation; Industry, Commerce and Supplies and Land Management, Cooperatives and Poverty Alleviation.

Other ministries presenting their progress reports were Education, Science and Technology; Health and Population; Women, Children and Senior Citizen; Youth and Sports; Federal Affairs and General Administration; Foreign Affairs; Defence, and Home Affairs.

Spokesperson for the OPMCM Binod Bahadur Kunwar said rest of the ministries, including Finance; Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs; Labour, Employment and Social Security, as well as National Planning Commission and National Reconstruction Authority will present their reports tomorrow.

According to Minister of Communications and Information Technology Gokul Baskota, the meeting discussed targets of the ministries and their achievements during the ongoing fiscal year. &Targets for the upcoming fiscal year will be set on the basis of the outcome of this meeting,& he told THT. Baskota also said PM Oli would give necessary directions to the ministries at the end of the meeting, tomorrow.

The review meeting comes at a time when the government and its ministries are facing wide criticism for their failure to deliver services. The government has also been surrounded by various controversies, with the latest one regarding its decision to revoke lab test of imported fruits and vegetables for pesticides, at border points.

There have been speculations that PM Oli is not happy with the performance of its ministers and that he is considering a cabinet reshuffle after the performance review meeting. Olidispleasure over the performance of the government is also manifested by his comments at public functions. He said at a programme today that he was not informed about a letter from the Indian embassy, requesting the Government of Nepal to roll back its decision to lab-test on imported fruits and vegetables at border points.

A government secretary present in todaymeeting said almost all ministries in their presentations showed good progress, and PM Oli was not as disappointed as he observed the presentation. &How he felt will be known at the end of the meeting when he issues directives to ministries tomorrow,& the secretary said.

The post 18 ministries present progress reports appeared first on The Himalayan Times.

Write comment (99 Comments)

KATHMANDU: A sum of Rs 10 million has been donated for the reconstruction of Bhimsen Temple in Patan Durbar Square. Bhimsen Temple, with a history of almost four centuries, was badly damaged by the 2015 earthquake.

Chairman of Everest Bank Ltd, BK Shrestha, made the donation on Wednesday amidst a programme.

Shrestha donated the amount in memory of his late father Sahu Ganesh Lal Shrestha to rebuild the temple and preserve the heritage of Patan. &I feel fortunate to have this opportunity to extend support in the name of Bhindya (Lord Bhimsen), who is not only a deity of Patan but of all Newars. I take it as my ancestral duty,& Shrestha said while adding that his family has been extending support to the Bhimsen Temple in various capacities since long.

BK Shrestha, Bhimsen Temple donation handover

Shrestha handed the cheque amounting to Rs 10 million to Shree Bhimsen Mandir Rebuilding Committee, formed for the reconstruction of the temple through local contribution and resources, with technical support from Kathmandu Valley Preservation Trust. The Committee was formed in collaboration with Mangal Tole Sudhar Sangh, Lalitpur Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Lalitpur Metropolitan City, and the Department of Archaeology.

According to the statement released by the Committee, Lalitpur Metropolitan City and Province 3 government have pledged Rs 10 million and five million respectively for the rebuilding of the temple.

Chiri Babu Maharjan, Mayor of Lalitpur Metropolitan City, Krishna Lal Maharjan, President of Lalitpur Chamber of Commerce - Industry and Coordinator of the Committee, Kiran Man Pradhan, Head of Mangal Tole Development Committee and Vice-president of the rebuilding committee, Rohit Ranjitkar, Director of Kathmandu Valley Preservation Trust and Member of rebuilding committee were also present in the programme.

After receiving the cheque, temple rebuilding committee coordinator Krishna Lal Maharjan said that the team has been fueled with more energy after receiving the support.

The post Rs 10ml donated for reconstruction of quake-damaged Bhimsen Temple appeared first on The Himalayan Times.

Write comment (96 Comments)